Try Our Delicious Matcha Smoothie
You won’t want to drink anything else!
Not heard of matcha?
Well, if you love green tea, listen up as you don’t want to miss out on this highly nutritious superfood taking the world by storm. Even though it’s been around for thousands of years in Japan, matcha has recently hit Western shores, spreading like wildfire.
With a multitude of health benefits, matcha powder is now all the rage and its followers include celebrities, yogis, top chefs and wellness warriors.
This antioxidant powerhouse protects the body from disease and free radical damage, helping us stay healthy and youthful.
We’ve got a yummy matcha smoothie recipe for you so stay tuned.
What is Matcha?
Matcha is a powdered form of high-grade green tea. It originates from Japan and has been used for centuries as part of Japanese tea ceremonies. Samurai warriors drank matcha tea before battle to boost their energy and focus their minds.
Matcha is potent and one cup of matcha tea is the equivalent of drinking 10 cups of normal green tea. When you drink matcha, you’re consuming the whole leaf and all of its nutrients. One study found that matcha contains up to 137 times more antioxidants than green tea.
What kind of Matcha tea is the best?
The green tea leaves used in matcha powder have been shaded by the sun, giving them a bright green colour. The brighter the green, the better the quality. Shading the leaves boosts chlorophyll production in the plants, increasing the nutritional value.
There are two types of matcha powder:
- Ceremonial grade: a premium, high-quality matcha used for Japanese tea ceremonies.
- Culinary grade: widely used in cooking and food products as it’s cheaper but the quality isn’t as good.
Our matcha powder is ceremonial grade as we don’t want to compromise on taste or quality.
Matcha health benefits
Matcha is a superfood packed full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Incorporating matcha tea in your daily routine can help:
- Improve mental focus and alertness: the combination of caffeine and L-theanine (an amino acid) helps stimulate the brain in a positive way.
- Boost metabolism and burn fat: green tea is known for its thermogenic (fat-burning) properties – matcha burns calories up to 4 times faster.
- Reduce stress and anxiety: L-theanine calms the mind and promotes relaxation.
- Detoxify the body: the chlorophyll in green tea helps cleanse your system and negate the nasty side effects from toxin build-up.
- Prevent disease and illness: the antioxidants (called catechins) have antimicrobial properties and protect cells from free radical damage.
- Lower cholesterol and protect the heart: catechins help reduce blood pressure and inflammation in blood vessels.
How to make a Matcha smoothie
Our matcha smoothie contains an abundance of nutrients – everything you need for breakfast-on-the-go, a post-workout drink or the 4pm energy slump.
- 1 frozen banana (the riper the better)
- 1 tsp of matcha powder
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 pear
- 1 tsp of chia seeds
- Handful of spinach
- 1 tbsp of almonds (or another nut)
Whiz all the ingredients up in a blender or Thermomix and you’ll have a super smoothie in seconds.
Start the day with a Matcha smoothie
By adding matcha to your daily routine, you’ll have more energy and a spring in your step. Enjoy the smoothie!
Want to buy Matcha?
Written by Michelle Sanchez
Michelle is our qualified Naturopath, Nutritionist and Medical Herbalist. Her areas of expertise include digestive issues, detoxification, weight loss, hormonal health, natural fertility management and mental health. Michelle is also a wellness blogger and author who believes good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle are key for optimum health and vitality.